Friday 7 August 2015

Totoro Black Sesame & Red Bean Pao

Baked again ^_^ This round I make "Black Sesame & Red Bean Steamed Totoro Pao" The recipe book is normal round steamed buns but I thought of adding two ears to make into Totoro :) The red bean paste I just bought the ready packet at our local bakery shop. I'll share the recipe after the post or you can purchase the recipe book "Nyonya Kuih Passions" by Andrew Kow (ISBN: 978-967-5114-01-5) This is my first attempt tried out this recipe :)
I must said that after steamed the pao, it smell wonderful and nice texture ^_^ I will definitely steamed again and try out other designed :D 
 
I didn't knead another original dough for the Totoro (white part) or else will look nicer ^_^ I just decorate three Totoro with melted white chocolate and chocolate for the details. The recipe altogether can steamed about 12 Totoro and 3 mini ones without red bean fillings but if you don't make into Totoro shape should able to make more than 12 :D

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients A
  • 450g       self raising flour
  • 70g         sugar
  • 2 tsp       baking powder
  • 50g         black sesame powder
  • 50g         shortening (I used unsalted butter)
Ingredients B
  • 1 tbsp    instant yeast
  • 300ml    warm water
  • 2 tbsp    flour
  • 1/2tsp    sugar
Fillings
  • 500g     red bean paste
Method:
  1. Mix ingredients B till well combined. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add ingredients A and mix well to form a smooth dough. Set aside for 20 minutes (Note: I cover with a piece of damp cloth and let rise and also after 20 minutes I add the ingredients B slowly into ingredients A instead of follow the instruction and I didn't pour all as I saw my dough was enough after pour bit by bit)
  2. Divide the dough into 40g each. Wrap fillings and shape into balls. Set aside for 25 minutes. (Note: I divide red bean paste into 40g each as well so about 12 balls, the last ball paste slightly smaller so I just adjust other balls)
  3. Boil some water in a steamer and steam the Pao for 10 minutes. (Note: wrap towel around lid to avoid water from dripping onto pao)
  4. Serve. 

 

2 comments:

  1. So cute and very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jean ^_^ Glad that you like it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for spending some time to read my blog and leave some comments....loved to hear from you!! Hugs & cheers!